Deputy Manager & Complex Case Lead
Local Government (NJC): P05
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Local Government (NJC): P05
- Full time - 35 hours per week (or other arrangement by agreement)
- Upper Street
- £45,594 - £48,576 p.a
- 06/12/2021 23:59
We're determined to make Islington fairer. To create a place where everyone, whatever their background, has the opportunity to reach their potential and enjoy a good quality of life.
We also have an ambitious goal – to be the best council in the country – with every employee clear about the part they play and inspired, focused and supported to give their very best.
We want to build an organisation where employees feel valued, inspired and empowered to help us achieve our goals and provide the best services possible to our residents.
Our values and behaviours
‘Be Islington’ is about setting a clear challenge about what it means to be an Islington employee and sets the standard for every new recruit.
We ask our employees to ‘Be Islington’ – playing their part in working together for a fairer borough and to always be collaborative, be ambitious, be resourceful, and be empowering (‘CARE’).
We are looking for two Deputy Managers & Complex Case Leads to join our SEND Team in Islington. We are a multi-professional team with responsibility for managing the statutory Education, Health and Care needs assessment process. We work with children and young people aged 0-25 years and their families. We also work closely with partners, including schools, health and the voluntary sector.
The role is one that may be of interest to experienced SEND professionals who have knowledge of and experience in managing complex cases, including those in tribunal.
You will need to demonstrate an excellent knowledge of the SEND landscape and legislation and along with highly refined interpersonal skills. The role requires you to develop and maintain mutually productive relationships with colleagues, partners, agencies and most importantly children, young people and their families.
As a Deputy Manager & Complex Case Lead, you will be responsible for:
- Managing a small number of complex cases, dispute resolution including through formal mediation and appeals to the SEND Tribunal on behalf of the local authority and health partners
- Line manage a small team of three or four SEN Keyworkers responsible for new assessments or annual reviews, monitoring performance against statutory timescales, monitoring workload allocation and providing advice and guidance.
- Support Islington Council to meet its statutory duties with regard to the education of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND)
- Provide high quality advice, guidance and support to colleagues in Pupil Services, and partner agencies, on interpreting and implementing legislation and guidance regarding children and young people who may benefit from an Education, Health and Care needs assessment and/or EHC Plan
- Lead on investigating and responding to complaints from families, councillor enquiries, and other challenges regarding the working of the SEND team
- Ensure that there are appropriate procedures in place to ensure that children and young people with EHC Plans who are being educated out of school/college settings receive the support that they require
- Represent the SEND team and/or Pupils Services at multi-agency meetings, as required
To be a Deputy Manager & Complex Case Lead you will be passionate about making a positive difference to the lives of children and young people as well as demonstrating the following skills:
- Be educated to degree level, with appropriate professional qualification/s or experience.
- Have demonstrable knowledge and understanding of legislation, statutory frameworks and policy affecting services for children, young people and families in relation to SEND.
- Have significant experience of leading on complex cases, including those in tribunal, on behalf of a local authority.
- Have experience of building and maintaining successful relationships with a range of influencers, including schools.
- Have a high level of determination, personal drive, energy and ambition to achieve challenging targets and improve outcomes.
Islington Council is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful candidates will be required to undertake a Criminal Record Check.
Closing date: Monday 6th December 2021 at 23:59
Interview/Test dates: Wednesday 15th & Thursday 16th December 2021
For further details / informal visits contact:
If you would like to find out more about this exciting role, please contact;
Alan Loivette (SEND Operations Manager) 020 7527 3167, for an informal discussion
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Alan Loivette
- Job title
- SEND operations manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 020 75273167