Principal Planning Policy Officer
Local Government (NJC): P04 £42,609 - £45,594 p.a
- Planning Policy
- Local Government (NJC): P04 £42,609 - £45,594 p.a
- Permanent: N/A
- Full time
- Flexible working
- Islington Town Hall
- £42,609 - £45,594 p.a
- 15/08/2021 23:59
We're determined to make Islington fairer. To create a place where everyone, whatever their background, has the opportunity to reach their potential and enjoy a good quality of life.
We also have an ambitious goal – to be the best council in the country – with every employee clear about the part they play and inspired, focused and supported to give their very best.
We want to build an organisation where employees feel valued, inspired and empowered to help us achieve our goals and provide the best services possible to our residents.
Our values and behaviours
‘Be Islington’ is about setting a clear challenge about what it means to be an Islington employee and sets the standard for every new recruit.
We ask our employees to ‘Be Islington’ – playing their part in working together for a fairer borough and to always be collaborative, be ambitious, be resourceful, and be empowering (‘CARE’).
Islington is a diverse and vibrant inner London borough, which continues to experience a large amount of development and change. We have imaginative planning policies, a positive and open attitude to growth, and a desire to secure development which addresses key local priorities such as maximising the delivery of genuinely affordable housing.
Islington has for decades been one of the most innovative and progressive local planning authorities in the country, and we pride ourselves on being a trailblazer on key planning issues such as: tackling climate change, maximising community benefits such as affordable housing and affordable workspace, inclusive design, as well as robust and transparent development viability processes.
The review of the existing Local Plan is at an advanced stage, and we are working to a very ambitious timescale for adopting the revised Plan. In this post you will be:
- leading on defending specific policy areas in the Draft Local Plan through the Independent Examination;
- taking a lead on preparing Supplementary Planning Documents;
- assisting Development Management with the implementation of the new policies once adopted;
- helping the Council devise effective local responses to the ongoing national planning reform;
- supporting the preparation of Article 4s Directions; advising senior management and elected Members on a range of planning policy issues, and a range of other related tasks.
We are looking for a dynamic, creative and hardworking individual, with extensive practical experience and expertise of fast-changing London and national planning policy, guidance and legislation.
The post offers a friendly team environment, flexible working hours, generous annual leave and a pension scheme.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Sakiba Gurda
- Job title
- Head of Planning Policy and Development Viability Service
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0207 527 2402
If you have problems applying, contact
7 Newington Barrow Way